Saturday, October 22

First Midwife appt.

Since my last pregnancy was without complication, and the worst part of my delivery experience was the damn nazi replacement doctor (my dr was on vacation, natch), I decided that I would find a midwife for my next baby, which, of course, is now.

Prenatal works mostly the same as with an ob. You go in, you pee in a cup, and weigh yourself. Except I get to dunk the test strip and see my own results, which is pretty cool. I still go in every 4 weeks until such time that I go in every two weeks, and then every week at the very end, just like I did with my ob.

There are several differences, tho, between a midwife and an ob. The main one is how many choices you get to make. They actually value my research and opinion, and don't get all condenscending on me when my choice is totally different from the norm. If I don't want something, they don't look at me like I've lost my mind and should be committed, and then give it to me anyway. (I really hated that.)

I'm also given the choice of having a water birth. I am soooo looking forward to trying that! Being in the water helped so much during my last labor. And it's better for the baby. (No, the baby can't drown, I promise.)

Hubby, of course, doesn't care who delivers the baby, as long as we are in a hospital with emergency care close at hand. You'd think he cared or something. ;)

No comments: