Saturday, December 23

Sisters by choice are the best sisters to have.

I first met Kristina in 1998 while working at the Fox & the Hound on Metcalf. I was separated from my husband and going to cosmetology school. My parents and brothers had moved to Chapala, Mexico, not too far from Guadalajara. I had been kicked out of my religion. I had no friends, no family, and no support network.

For some reason unknown to me, Kris decided to befriend me. In doing so, she dragged me kicking & screaming into the extended Mulbrook family, giving me new parents and brothers. In doing so, she also gave me something I had never had until then, a sister.

Eight years later, we are still the closest of friends. I have a wonderful husband and two beautiful children. Sadly, my actual parents don’t really talk to me, even though they only live 3 hours away from me now.

I will always be grateful to Kristina and her family for taking me in, and for being some of the first people in my life to show me true unconditional love.

Thank you, Kristina, for fulfilling a need I didn’t even know I had.

No comments: